It's ironic really. I've been surrounded by death my whole life (my parents' are funeral directors), but I've been relatively untouched by death in my personal life. In the past two weeks two people have died who were a part of my life. It's been years since I've been to a funeral and yet I've found myself at two in two weeks. As I've driven to these funerals, I've pondered life and what it really means.
One life was long and full. It was filled with love, family, happiness, and then after 80 some years, it ended. Granny was such a blessing to others. I can remember having pies and cakes end up on our counter that she had just "dropped off for Cecil." She always had a smile for everyone and loved her husband so well. There was so much to learn from her life...a life well lived.
The other life was cut short (from our worldly perspective), completely unexpectedly, but she too lived well and was an example to others. She was the mother of one of my good friends and always such an example of quiet yet strong devotion to her family and God. She had the ability to bring peace and calm to every situation.
So as I've contemplated their deaths, I've really contemplated their lives. What we do with our lives is what is important. At Barbara's funeral God showed me a few things that I need to change in my life right now in order to leave a legacy for my kids and to be the best wife, mom, and friend that I can be.
1. I need to stop making excuses for not doing the things that God specifically tells me to do. This means that when the Holy Spirit speaks to me, I need to act.
2. Do nice things for people every day and give to people just to bless them. I can be so selfish sometimes especially with my time.
3. Realize that my own agenda and needs are second to my children's needs. I know, I know...all of us 21st century women are thinking that "I need my time, my pampering, my girl time for my sanity." While yes, I still think that's true, I need to realize that for the next 20 years, life is not about me. It's about the two lives that I am raising into a man and woman of God.
4. I need to be bold for the sake of the gospel. End of story...no explanation needed!
So, what is life...it's the fullness of all that we can make of it. My true desire is to be sold out to God and live according to His calling so that when I die (and we all will one day), I will have lived a life that has left a legacy.
Whew...this is a serious post:) Maybe the next one will be much lighter and funnier. I will end with this. I am addicted to coupons. I just got a box of 80 Hefty trash bags for $3.25...pretty impressive!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So true. Life's a journey, and what we give to others matters.
ReplyDelete