No, I'm not talking about a phone...it's Karis. She's a crawling kiddo now! I think it's so funny how we wait for them to take that next developmental step. We've known this was coming for a while. She's been rocking on her hands and knees for a while and scooting around when she wanted something, but it hasn't been real crawling yet. But as of today, she took off!! I'm watching her crawl around right now, laughing at how cute she is!
I have two thoughts about her crawling. On the one hand, I have cheered her on every time she has tried to crawl over the last month. Even Caleb would say, "You can do it Karis! You're almost crawling!" We all wanted her to take those first "crawling steps" so bad just so that she could be successful at what she was trying to do. On the other hand, I have been just fine with her not crawling. Once the crawling starts, we have a whole new ball game on our hands. For one it means that our floors need to be much cleaner and well...that means I've got to clean them a lot more often. It also means baby proofing, but that's not too big of a deal. More importantly, it means that we are going to have to start discipling her. I really dread this. She is so sweet, loves us so much, and just wants to smile all of the time. For seven months, we have tried to make her totally happy. There hasn't been any reason to tell her "no" or to even redirect her attention. But oh, the times are changing. Now the cat food, plants, Caleb's small toys, dust bunnies in the corner, books on the shelves, etc. are all in danger of these chubby little hands and slobbery little mouth! I know the time is coming where we are going to have to say "no" and mean it, we're going to have to pop her little hand, and our actions are going to make her cry. This thought makes me a little sad, but I know that what we are going to do as parents is going to make her a better child. We will be teaching her how to be a great toddler.
With all growing comes instruction and instruction isn't always fun. I think this is a good lesson for us as adults. Kids are constantly trying to grow, to learn, and to try new things. As a result of this they are under constant instruction which often brings about some sort of pain. Why is it then that we as adults get stagnant and decide that we don't need to grow anymore. Then when we do grow (usually in some sort of trial situation), we grumble and complain when someone (or God) tries to give us instruction. That pain that Karis is going to have (I know it's coming)and that pain that we have during our growing seasons is for a purpose. It is to refine us, to teach us, and to enable us to become all that God has planned for us. It will only make us better.
You know, I really can't wait for Karis to take her new found talent, turn to me, and crawl with all the energy she has into my arms. For the first time she has the ability to come to me instead of me just going to her. I can only imagine how it makes my heavenly Father feel when I take what He has taught me and use it to run into His arms. I hope it makes Him smile!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post, Lesli. And YAY for Karis. How exciting!
ReplyDeleteKay says How did you get so wise?
ReplyDelete