I am officially addicted...to cloth diapers. It started out as a "maybe I should try this" "if my mom could do it so can I" thing, and it has become something that I love. So this post is dedicated to cloth diapering. I think it's going to be a numbered list...maybe a "top ten reasons I like cloth diapers"...yes, I like that, so here goes!
10. They are bulky but sooo cute!
9. There are 4 different styles (that I know of) - fitteds, all in ones, all in twos, and pocket diapers. I love variety and having a differt type of diaper for different times. It keeps it interesting.
8. There are TONS of different brands. I like finding the ones I like the best. Once again there is good variety.
7. I have been introduced to a whole new group of people - the cloth diapering moms.
6. Poop in a cloth diaper isn't as bad as I expected it to be.
OK, I need to stop here for a minute. As a mom, you really learn to accept that poop is a part of your life. In just 2 1/2 years of parenting, I've had more poop touch my hands (arm, clothes, bottom of my foot, etc) than I ever really thought I would. I never really even considered that I would have to manage poop on such a regular basis, and that was with disposable diapers (with the first child). So here's the deal with poop in a cloth diaper.
A. When it's just breast milk poop (the yellow stuff) you don't do anything. Just put it in the diaper pail and wash as normal.
B. When it's poop that is solid, dump it in the potty. Put the diaper in the pail. No big deal.
C. When it's really soft poop that has squished everywhere, it gets a little more tricky. You have to get it off. They make this really cool gaget now called a diaper sprayer. Basically it is a miniature removalable shower head for your toilet. You hold the diaper over the toilet and spray the poop into the potty. Diaper in the pail...pretty easy. I, however, do not have a diaper sprayer. Therefore, I lay the diaper in the toilet, poop side down. I let it soak for a few minutes, then I hold on to the end of the diaper and flush. This pulls some of the poop off (this step may need to be repeated). Once I'm satisfied with the poop removal, I swish the diaper around in the toilet and squeeze it out. Yes, I am familiar with my child's poop. This calls for serious hand washing. It makes me feel a little better that my grandma told me that this was the way she cleaned off diapers too. I am not the first to have my hand in poop in the toilet. By the way, I used to be squemish about just touching clean toilet bowl water...those days are long gone:)
5. I like to see the cloth diapers hanging on the clothes line.
4. I feel pretty "green!" I like knowing that I'm not filling landfills.
3. I have gotten used to changing diapers a little more frequently and it makes me feel good that my baby's not sitting in pee for as long. (When I'm using a disposable, I make it last for as long as possible!)
2. I love the softness!!!
1. I DON'T HAVE TO SPEND $20 OF GROCERY MONEY EVERY OTHER WEEK ON A BOX OF DIAPERS!!!!!!!
So that's it. There's my top ten! If you're interested, let me know. I'll be glad to teach you what I've learned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had a moment when I thought about cloth diapering Eli. It quickly passed. I just don't think I can handle the poop part!! Maybe with the 3rd child. I'll ask for advice then! :)
ReplyDeleteLesli...you are my hero today for two reasons...1) You not only made a list of your thoughts (I pretty much only think in lists), but you had a list within a list...bonus points!! 2) Go ahead with the cloth diaper thing, girl!! I'm getting much more acquainted with poop but I haven't yet conquered my fear of sticking my hand in clean toilet water, much less poopy water=)
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Anne Michelle on making a list within a list...KUDOS!!! And I am close to cloth diapering but just too laszy to do it! HA I mean I have a box of them in the closet!
ReplyDeleteI could barely get through this post without my eyes watering, gagging, and smelling poop!!!...Don't think I could handle cloth diapers...Don't think I want to handle any diapers for that matter! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad y'all like the list within a list...It was the only way to do it:)
ReplyDelete