In case you didn't know, the potential lies within me to be an obsessive compulsive cleaner. I like things organized, put in their places, and cleaned really well. I know my roommates in college couldn't stand it. I probably just about drove them crazy with how irritated I would get over dishes in the sink, shoes on the floor, and any little mess I saw. A husband and two children have really done a good job on the obsesssive compulsive part (there are dishes in the sink as I'm typing this...don't worry, I'll get you as soon as I'm done typing), but I still like things to be "Mother Clean" as my mom used to refer to it (see I get it honest). If I had to define the term "Mother Clean" it would mean that something is cleaned better than anyone else in the house would care to clean it. It also means that it has probably been cleaned with a toothbush and some sort of harsh chemical requiring cleaning gloves and probably a mask although I'm sure a mask was never worn (you just have to hold your breath as long as you can and then make it to fresh air for a deep breath). It also implies that the mother got tired at looking at a job half done/half clean and went into a hormonal cleaning fit and probably cleaned things like the closets, baseboards, and cabinets while she was at it. Well, this happened to me today. I typically say that if you aren't using a toothbrush while you are cleaning then you aren't really cleaning (I hope this doesn't offend any of you non-toothbrush cleaning readers out there). However, since having baby number 2, I have put my cleaning tootbrushes aside and decided that if other people don't clean with toothbrushes then I'm not either. This mainly applied to the bathroom (all other areas still need toothbrushes, I just thought I could get away with it in the bathroom). I bought some Scrubbing Bubbles because it says, "cleans so you don't have to" and well, that's what I wanted - a quick and easy cleaning job. I have actually been very pleased with the Scrubbing Bubbles, so pleased that I didn't restock on Comet when I ran out. The dirt and grime definitely just fall away, but what I started to notice was the little pink line around the drain of the tub and sink and the base of our stand up shower caddy. I still didn't pull out my toothbrushes, but I would scrub a little harder with my sponge. The pink would disappear, but it seemed to come back almost instantly. As I was bathing my two precious children last night it was no longer pink...it was RED!! This brings me to today. Today I donned my hot pink cleaning gloves (every serious cleaner needs a pair. It makes you feel decidedly feminine), sprayed a serious layer of Scrubbing Bubbles and went to town - toothbrush in hand. I didn't just stop with the tub though. The toothbrush got a workout on all major appliances in the bathroom...the nastiest being our toilet. HOLY COW have you ever used a toothbrush to scrub the hinges on the seat and lid. Our oldest was in there with me (he's 2 1/2). Every time I would say, "That's disgusting" he would say, "Ugggg." It was gross!! So, my bathroom is spotless and now I firmly restate my opinion, "If you aren't cleaning with a toothbrush then you aren't really cleaning!"
As a side note, I also cleaned the outside door to our laundry room and the outside window seal on our deck...sticking with the definition of "Mother Clean." Now I will tackle those dishes.
As a side note, I also cleaned the outside door to our laundry room and the outside window seal on our deck...sticking with the definition of "Mother Clean." Now I will tackle those dishes.
(I haven't quite figured out this picture placement yet)

So here is the "mother clean" mentality and whereby Lesli gets her obsession. As I was reading this very first blog of my firstborn child, I had just finished (with toothbrush in hand) cleaning all around the faucett at the sink,(started out by just simply washing up the breakfast dishes), which led to the cabinets, which led to the baseboards, which led to the straightening of the vitamin cabinet, which led to the throwing out of moth infested cereal, which led to pinesol and the face of the cabinets!!!! AHHHHH now THATS MOTHER CLEAN!!!! However, my toilet has NEVER looked as clean as this one
ReplyDeleteHahaha! That is MOTHER CLEAN!!! I know where my obsessions come from!
ReplyDelete