Thursday, October 29, 2009

What's in a Title?

So here I am, finally on the blog scene. I actually started to try to make a blogspot two years ago, but something went wrong and I never came back to it. While I've been working on this new blog (all of 10 minutes), I've had to come up with a couple of titles. Titles are usually difficult for me. It's like I always want to come up with something really catchy that grabs people's attention and makes me seem witty, but typically I end up floundering around with words that just sound silly together. When it comes to titleing (I'm pretty sure that's not spelled correctly but titling didn't look right either) something, I usually wait for someone else to come up with something which is so different from every other aspect of my life (usually I'm the first to come up with an idea even if it isn't good). For me, I have to work through a project, a paper, or in this case a blog before I can come up with something even remotely worthy of announcing the content of my project (paper, blog, etc.). So while I was contemplating what to title my very first blog, the beginning of my online thoughts, this popped into my mind...in the journey of life, I often don't really understand all that God is doing in that moment...I can't give it a title. It isn't until I've worked through situations, experienced people, LIVED life that I can look back and see God's hand in it all. It's at that point that the lightbulb comes on and I can "title" a season of my life. My husband and I have a yearly anniversary tradition that started on our honeymoon (this is a whole 'nother story in itself and not at all applicable to titles - but very funny). Each year we drink a bottle of wine and then save that bottle. Somewhere on the bottle I write a "title" and then a few bullet points to describe that year. Just the other day I looked at our wine bottles. Some of the titles were; Learning to Love, Trial by Fire, New Additions. Those titles were written after the year was lived. I think so many times we try to title our lives based on what we want them to be and what we think is coming or even what we want to come. It doesn't work that way. We can have goals and dreams, but God is the one who orchestrates and orders our lives. When I'm unsure of what's going on in my life I need to stop trying to force a "title" to bring understanding and instead just relax in my trust of God and know that the "title" will come later.

3 comments: