Saturday, December 12, 2009

Worthy of a Post

I'm moving in with my mom and dad! Karis slept through the night last night for the second time in 3 1/2 months...the first time being over Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's house.

I don't know where I've gone wrong. At five weeks, Karis magically slept through the night without ever crying at all. At first I thought it was a fluke, but it continued until she was 5 1/2 months old. I was so confident in her ability to stay asleep that it never occured to me that it would end...but end it did. It started with her getting out of her swaddling blanket, then came the growth spurt and starving in the middle of the night. Next she learned to roll over and apparently it is quite disturbing to wake up on your hands and knees in the middle of the night and not know how to get back down. This was followed by some new teeth, habitually pooping at three in the morning, and now a snotty nose (apparently you can't suck your paci and breathe when your nose is stopped up with snot). Really all they are is excuses to not sleep through the night and get your mom out of bed. I've really tried all I know to do...earlier naps, more naps, later naps, earlier bed time, later bedtime, nursing in the middle of the night, paci and rocking in the middle of the night, crying it out in the middle of the night (from 3:30 til 5:10...lots of fun). I think it boils down to the fact that God is teaching me humility. How many times have people said that their kids weren't sleeping through the night and I have confidently (maybe even pridefully - see the post "Time for Transparency") replied, "Well, you just need to let them cry it out." After all, isn't that what the books say...and books are always right. Now I am eating my words because I have a sweet little girl who wants to wake up at night except in her Mamie and Popper's pack-n-play. So maybe I'm not moving back in with my parents, but I might be setting up a pack-n-play right next to the crib in Karis' room. If it works, I might just write a book:)

1 comment:

  1. HA! That's funny. Not the not sleeping part, but writing the book part. There are seriously books on everything, I bet you could totally sell it. Hang in there, I'm confident y'all will get it figured out... Who knows, maybe the pack n play will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete